Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Movie Making Quotes

I just spent some time looking up quotes from movie directors. I was looking for quotes that I agreed with strongly and these are the ones that called out to me at this point in my life.
--------------
A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later.
- Stanley Kubrick

If you can talk brilliantly about a problem, it can create the consoling illusion that it has been mastered.
- Stanley Kubrick

To me, movies and music go hand in hand. When I'm writing a script, one of the first things I do is find the music I'm going to play for the opening sequence.
- Quentin Tarantino

The essence of cinema is editing. It's the combination of what can be extraordinary images of people during emotional moments, or images in a general sense, put together in a kind of alchemy.
- Francis Ford Coppola

You have to really be courageous about your instincts and your ideas. Otherwise you'll just knuckle under, and things that might have been memorable will be lost.
- Francis Ford Coppola

I like films to have something inside, I don't mean a message, I mean something from the soul.
- Dario Argento

Actors need bricks to play with, and in fact we rejected all the improvised fragments we had made without a plan. Improvisation without a plan is like tennis without tennis balls.
- Lars von Trier

Films are always pretentious. There's nothing more pretentious than a filmmaker.
- John Milius

In that, Blade 2 is very much like a rock concert... if it's too loud, you're too old.
- Guillermo del Toro

No comments:

Post a Comment